Monday, April 27, 2015

My Response to Lawton Hall - Michael Hubbard

(Please note before reading this that I continue to struggle with what I want to do with my life with a degree in fines arts, especially in the world we now live in, and that part of that struggle constitutes a good portion of my feelings in post.)

This was a week where I had to remind myself the subjectivity of art and how there is now apparently little to no basis of objectivity with it in a world of increasingly loose contemporary art. Please bear with me if I come off as a bit condescending, because I am not, but rather using witticism to make light of my thoughts about our visitor as well as my tired mind. Also, this is just my honest opinion, and I am not going to pretend to like something just to be "polite." And honestly, I felt a bit discouraged the day Lawton Hall came to visit, and I honestly did not expect that to happen. I am not blaming Hall for my discouragement, but instead the whole experience in general that he happened to be apart of. When Lawton entered the room, I remember one of the first things John said was that Mr. Hall is one of the few graduates to quickly enter the art world and "survive," or something along those lines. Of course, John may have simply said that out of humor, based on the world's current attitude toward art students in a time where STEM education has taken ahold of mainstream academia, and I may sound like I am about to overanalyze a simple joke, but that statement had me both intrigued and worried nonetheless and continued to linger in my mind to this day, along with the long list of fears I continue to have about the present and future. Apparently one of the themes that Lawton is pursuing is "nostalgia" or trying to return to form of something lost or in the past, and I definitely think he captures something old and tired.

1 comment:

  1. it definitely is a little scary to hear that not many graduates are successful, but i have two responses: 1. they're probably just not successful yet. i think it takes time to figure out what you're going to be doing and lawton was lucky to land a lot of opportunities and connections. and 2. it's okay! you don't have to be successful. keep doing what you want to do and work at a tire manufacturing plant in the meantime

    ReplyDelete