Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Project # 1: Teaser for Music Video "Beer & Pizza," by Small Boys

"Beer & Pizza," by Small Boys - Official Music Video Teaser - Michael Hubbard


For this first submission, working with the idea of the “hyper-real” and the many possible ways that term could be interpreted, I chose to dabble in what I read as excess to an absurd degree. Jean Baudrillard essentially describes the hyper-real as a “simulation,” or a “reflection” of a reality that basically distorts or “perverts” it to a point where that simulation or reflection “bears no relation to any reality” (Baudrillard 11). Since I am primarily interested in working with film/video, what other medium better captures that excess, that unreal reality, better than the modern music video? Your watching it on a screen and from it you experience an exaggeration of an activity/situation made in favor of catering to the artistic license of the song that it is playing to.  Generally speaking, all believability is almost immediately thrown aside by the viewer because he/she is already expecting to watch a stylized foray into shallow, overproduced entertainment. There is typically no intelligent substance in your average music video today because intelligence is no longer as easy to market, and I take advantage of that lack of intelligence in order to make an entertaining piece of schlock. The music video I am working on – “Beer & Pizza” – based on the song written by an on-campus band that calls itself “Small Boys,” captures the simulation of the absurdist representation of college party/drinking life, and I could not resist finally bringing the blatantness of the song to the screen! Of course, this is only a glimpse at the main attraction, so be prepared for the full music video to drop!

5 comments:

  1. Michael, This is awesome! After being there during filming, it seemed like this was going to be much more like teenage boys in a band fooling around with a video camera (which also could've been cool!) but it looks so great and professional, I can't believe I know those people! Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised, your work always looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if i'm being totally honest, i was really surprised by how much i liked this! your imagery was great and it was really entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, you are off to a great start with this! I really liked your description of "this is what a 50 year old might imagine college parties to be like". You did a good job with making this feel like a "dated" video. It makes me think of Wayne's World or a "don't do drugs" commercial from the 90s. Also great job with the Premiere effects... I need to play around with those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great video! right from the get go I felt your work was very captivating and enjoyable. Some of the edits, particularly early on in the video, were fantastic. Overall I felt the video and the song did a great job capturing the hyperreal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great video! right from the get go I felt your work was very captivating and enjoyable. Some of the edits, particularly early on in the video, were fantastic. Overall I felt the video and the song did a great job capturing the hyperreal.

    ReplyDelete